In the 2017 OPPS/ASC final rule we finalized changes for meaningful use measures (unless otherwise specified), actions included in the numerator must occur within the EHR reporting period if that period is a full calendar year, or if it is less than a full calendar year, within the calendar year in which the EHR reporting period occurs. Meaning that all actions in the numerator must occur between January 1st and December 31st for all calendar years beginning in 2017.
The following objectives and measures fall under this policy in 2017 for Modified Stage 2:
- Protect Patient Health Information: (Security Risk Analysis),
- Health Information Exchange,
- Patient Specific Education,
- Patient Electronic Access (measure 2 - VDT)
- Secure Messaging (EPs only for Modified Stage 2), and
The following objectives and measures fall under this policy
for Stage 3:
- Protect Patient Health Information (Security Risk Analysis),
- Patient Electronic Access to Health Information (measure 2-Patient Specific Educational
- Coordination of Care Through Patient Engagement (measure 1 – VDT and measure 2-
- Health Information Exchange (measure 1 – Send a Summary of Care), and
For more information specific to the Security Risk Assessment, see FAQ #13649. Please note that beginning in 2017, the security risk assessment must be conducted within the calendar year in which the EHR reporting period occurs.
For more information specific to numerator calculations for actions outside the EHR reporting period for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs prior to 2017, see FAQ #8231